ParaSport and Recreation PEI is a nonprofit, charitable organization that was established
in 1974. The organization’s mandate is to provide recreation and sport opportunities for
individuals with a physical disability on Prince Edward Island.
The ParaSport and Recreation PEI Membership Funding Program was created to support
residents of Prince Edward Island with a physical disability to participate in recreation
and sport opportunities. ParaSport and Recreation PEI provides a variety of parasport
and recreation programs, but we recognize that not all interests are met through the
programs that are offered.
The ParaSport and Recreation PEI Membership Funding Program offers two funding
categories, for individual members and associate members. The criteria for each
category are outlined below. Please read the criteria carefully before submitting your
Category A: Individual Member Grants
Fund #1: “Let’s Move” Grant
- Individuals with a physical disability
- Member in good standing for 1 year at the time of application
2. Eligible Expenses:
- Registration fees for a sanctioned sport or recreation events and programs
- Travel costs to and from programs and events which would include, means of
transportation (e.g. car, flight, etc.), tolls, and accommodations
Fund #2: “Developing Athlete” Grant
- Competitive athletes that are registered in a ParaSport and Recreation PEI
competitive program. These programs include wheelchair basketball, para ice
hockey and wheelchair rugby. These programs will be reviewed annually.
- Member in good standing for one (1) year at the time of application
- Competitive athletes with a physical disability that are registered in a Paralympic
Sport program that is not offered by ParaSport and Recreation PEI. Application
must include a letter of support from the Club program or the Provincial Sport
- Must be a member is good standing for one (1) year at the time of application
2. Eligible Expenses:
- Registration fees for a sanctioned sport or recreation events or programs
- Travel costs to and from programs and events which would include means of
transportation (e.g. car, flight, etc.), tolls, and accommodations.
3. Funding Maximum:
- Maximum an individual member can receive is $750/year
- Up to 80% of eligible expenses but not more than the annual maximum
- Individual members can apply to Fund #1 and #2 annually however funding will
not exceed $750/individual/year
Category B: Associate Member Grants
- Must be a member in good standing with ParaSport and Recreation PEI for one (1) year
at the time of application.
2. Eligible Expenses:
- Participation of the organization’s members in a recreation and/or sport event
- Coaches and/or volunteers’ participation in specialized training related to a sport
and/or recreation activity (e.g. an NCCP Coaching Course)
- Expenses associated with hosting a recreation and/or sport event
- Equipment that is used directly to assist the organization’s members to
participate in a recreation and/or sport activity
3. Funding Maximums:
Funding maximums vary depending on the type of membership that the Associate
Member holds with ParaSport and Recreation PEI.
- Associate Member (1-10 Members): Up to maximum of $750 annually
- Associate Member (10+ Members): Up to a maximum of $1,500 annually
- Associate Members can receive up to 80% of eligible expenses covered by this grant but
not more than the annual maximum.
Ineligible for Funding (both categories)
- ParaSport and Recreation registration fees or competition travel expenses that
are already subsidized by ParaSport and Recreation PEI
- Travel expenses to and from ParaSport and Recreation PEI Programs
- Members that have outstanding reports from previous grants received
- Individuals that have received funding from either Category for same project
- Gym Memberships/Passes
- Operating expenses (e.g. telephone, postage, office supplies, insurance, etc.)
This application does not include travel support. If you are looking for travel support to our ParaSport and Recreation PEI programs for the year, please contact us directly at the office by October 15, 2023.
We do not fund individual expenses such as personal equipment, travel, food, etc. under the Associate Member Funding Program.
How To Submit Your Application:
Click “Apply Now” at the end of this page to submit your application online. Accessible copies of application can be pick up at ParaSport Provincial Office:
ParaSport and Recreation PEI
40 Enman Cres, Room 123
Charlottetown, PEI C1A 1E6
OR Fax to: 902-368-4548
Applications will be accepted twice annually. For spring/summer requests, applications must be received by April 1. For Fall/Winter requests, applications must be received by October 15.
Criteria for Submission
Applications will be reviewed based on their individual merit and according to the following conditions:
- Funds will not be provided for the reimbursement of expenditures made prior to the awarding of the grant;
- The authorized signatory must be of the age of majority (18 years);
- Partnerships or joint ventures applications are encouraged.
- Funding amounts will not exceed $1,500/individual annually.
The ParaSport and Recreation PEI Board of Directors will review all applications and make funding allocations.
The applicants will receive written notification of the decision. If an applicant is successful the funds will be distributed within four (4) weeks on the notification of the decision. Applicants who are not successful are welcomed to contact the ParaSport and Recreation PEI to discuss the reasons for the decline.
Successful Applicant Responsibilities
- Review and sign the Letter of Agreement.
- Provide proof of expenditures, 30 days following the completion of the project
(e.g. event/activity, equipment purchase, etc.)
- Be available for a photo-op with a representative from ParaSport and Recreation
PEI and/or an interview
Note: Failure to provide proof of expenditures, the applicant will be required to pay
back in full the amount of the awarded grant and shall be ineligible to apply for another
grant in the future.
2023 FALL Intake Deadline Extension
Application form and all attachments must be sent by October 15, 2023 .